[OpenSIPS-Users] UTF8 in MySQL database

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Tue Mar 24 12:58:05 CET 2009

Hello,

As I was just doing upgrade from OpenSIPs 1.4.4 to 1.5.0 I took a look
at the database and found out it was latin1-encode. I didn't like it
much (if any non ASCII characters are supposed to be allowed in the
database then why should it be limited to only a few languages in the
world?). I have found out that opensipsdbctl reads the MySQL server
default charset setting, so I have changed it to utf8… only to find out,
that:

„WARNING: Your current default mysql characters set cannot be used to
create DB. Please choice another one from the following list:”

What is the reason for rejecting UTF8? No other setting seems to make
much sense in an international environment.

Fortunately, most data in the database is not supposed to be
human-readable and I can live with ASCII encoding only. I am just
wondering where this limitation comes from.

Greets,
        Jacek