[OpenSIPS-Users] on a VM

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Tue Mar 17 13:20:27 CET 2009

Hello,

I have no problem with using Opensips in production on a VM.  Mediaproxy (or
rtpproxy for that matter) is a different story.  I haven't done any
calculations or benchmarks, but it seems to me the sheer number of
interrupts triggered as the result of all the relayed RTP packets is
something that would scale much better on a pure hardware platform compared
to a VM of any flavor.

I suppose it depends on the application.  If I had an instance of Opensips
with mediaproxy or rtpproxy to allow my ten friends and I to establish SIP
sessions with each other, and we were all behind NAT, I'd put that on a VM
in a second.  But if we're talking about 500 concurrent sessions, that's
50000 packets per second (assuming a 20ms ptime) by the time you figure
inbound packets and outbound packets.  Again, I haven't done the testing,
but I'd think a hardware platform would respond much more favorably.

In your plans for XenServer, what are your scalability requirements?

- Jeff