[OpenSIPS-Users] Feature-request: AVPs for nat_traversal

Thomas Gelf thomas at gelf.net
Thu Jun 11 14:59:46 CEST 2009

Dan Pascu wrote:
> Hmm. Up to now I haven't encountered any device that doesn't reply to
> a request. If it doesn't understand it, it should at least reply with
> "Not supported". Having devices that completely ignore a request is
> bad for communication, because you cannot discern between the case
> where the device is not accessible anymore or it's just not willing to
> reply.

Bad for communication -> it is. And I always thought the SIP universum
would be a perfect one ;-) However it was not necessarily the device's
fault - those ALG where both more than braindead :-(

> .. This is a background activity and one should not need to manually
> configure it too much or at all. It should simply work as automatically
> as possible.

Full ack!! As long as it doesn't do "everything" automatically managing
this "manually" is possible solely for small setups with just a few
thousand accounts (like ours) - of if your backoffice allows experienced
customers to manually adjust such settings, BUT:

> IMO, a better solution would be to make it adaptive. It could monitor
> the replies and if it doesn't get a reply for a ping it can switch to
> use the other method for that particular endpoint. For example the
> first time the proxy has to send a ping to a newly added endpoint, it
> should send both a NOTIFY and an OPTIONS. If it gets a reply for both,
> it will use whatever the module is configured to use by default. If it
> only gets a reply for one of them, it will use that no matter what the
> module uses by default.

That would be absolutely great! It would for sure be more work for you,
but I would STRONGLY opt for this variant - great proposal!

Cheers,
Thomas Gelf