[OpenSIPS-Users] Parallel forking (using registrar branching) & mediaproxy

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Tue Jun 9 00:52:05 CEST 2009

On 8 Jun 2009, at 18:39, erwan.humez at orange-ftgroup.com wrote:

> => can you confirm that media proxy can not be used as a 'forced"
> media proxy, without NAT ?

It can be used that way just fine. But if you use it with a private IP
address (as defined by rfc 1918), it may not behave like you expect
it. Since we do not use it that way (and nobody we know does), it's
not tested and nobody knows exactly what to expect. In other words we
cannot give you advice for that use case or tell you what to expect.
If you explore the case, please share your results here.

One thing that is known not to work when using private IP addresses,
is chaining multiple media relays in the path. When they do not have a
public IP address they will deadlock (if there is more than one media-
relay in the path). However, if they have a public IP, the relays can
start relaying even before they receive a packet from both ends,
because with a public IP they know that it's not behind NAT and
reachable, so they can start sending to that address right away and
thus avoiding the deadlock.

--
Dan