[OpenSIPS-Users] Fw: Re: [NEW]memcached implementation for memory caching

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Jul 15 22:14:27 CEST 2009

Richard,The original memcache architecture docs would say something like,
don't expect the data to be available when you query it. In other words, you
have to assume that the memcache daemon is going to die painfully and get
restarted without any data in it (or maybe won't get restarted).

most (cold cache) memcache implementations usually do a cache check, then a
db check (followed by populating the cache). This methodology insures that
if the cache disappears, you can still get the data out of your database.

Now I haven't followed the memcache development, but the BDB backed memcache
store Shelby has mentioned sounds really cool. But still, what if memcache
disappears and does not come back.

Depending on your specific implementation, like call path limiting across
platforms, these limitations may be acceptable. I think I personally would
find it acceptable to perform call path limiting this way since the only
time call paths would get out of whack would be during a failure and
presumably the failure wouldn't last longer than 2xACD

That's my $0.02 :)

If you try this out.. tell us about it.. I'm sure there will be all sorts of
interesting uses for memcaching. When I get some free time, I'm going to do
full LCR with it. :)

-Brett