[OpenSIPS-Users] Failed builing rev 5182

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Jan 23 20:13:18 CET 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> El Jueves, 22 de Enero de 2009, Dan Pascu escribió:
> > >
> > > IMHO such comment is not necessary.
> >
> > Considering that you're a non-native English speaker, I believe that
> > your aggravation over a simple remark is exaggerated. I do not know
> > what exactly did you read into that common expression that made you
> > so itchy,
>
> Well, for me "you should know better" sounds somehow disparaging, and
> in my opinion such comment doesn't invite the thread author to ask
> again in the *users* maillist.
> But since my English is limited perhaps I don't understand the exact
> meaning of that phrase. If so, could you please clarify me?

You always gave the impression of a smart guy, so I expect that you should
know better (there it is again ;) that email is a very poor medium to
transfer emotional contents (at least I think that you may have figured
that out already after so much time on the net). As the sender emotional
state which is associated with the message is not transferred very well
(smileys may help, but not that much), the result is that it tends to be
filled in at the destination automatically by the recipient, usually
according with his own momentary mood or from the habitual interpretation
he has for that specific expression. FYI, 90% of a message in a
conversation is transfered non-verbally (body language, voice tone,
gestures), so imagine how it is when you're not face to face with the
person you communicate and you don't know him well either...

Now I can think of at least a few meanings for that expression, ranging
from sarcasm to irony to frustration to dissapointment to motivation.
It's not without meaning that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

My intention was to indicate that people should better try to understand
what the consequences of their actions are, if they intend not to be
utterly confused by the results of their actions.

> > but then again, the last time I made a joke, you took it seriously
> > and updated a bug report based on what I said... :P
>
> I was too much frustrated with that issue. I would believe my mother if
> she asserts to have a patch for it XD

I rest my case.

--
Dan