[OpenSIPS-Users] number of opensips children

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Mon Dec 14 22:58:30 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to determine the "proper" number of opensips children for my
setup.  I'm having trouble understanding which operations effectively block
or occupy a process until completion, and which ones allow a process to
handle other traffic.

My theory thus far has been to run more children than I should ever need so
then I don't have to worry about any blocking.  But 150+ children later
across three proxies and I'm afraid my DB server is unhappy with so many
connections from FreeRadius and Opensips.  I'd like to try to thin it down,
but I need to understand better what can block a process.

Is it transaction-based?  That is, does a child correspond to a transaction
until its completion?  I hope not, since that doesn't sound like it would
scale very well.

Is it message-based?  That is, does a child process a single message until
it ships out with t_relay or similar?  In this case, how do things like
siptrace or accounting impact a child's ability to process other messages?

Any clarity someone might be able to offer on the subject would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff