[OpenSIPS-Users] Contact header

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Aug 5 10:29:27 CEST 2009

If we are going to have a cultured and dignified relationship between
the Kamailio and OpenSIPS camps, which I assume is the goal of everyone
for reasons of commercial self-preservation if nothing else, then the
provocations need to stop from both sides.

No, it is not very upstanding to come on the OpenSIPS list only to
remind its members that you don't use OpenSIPS and that Kamailio is much
better.  Whether you think it's true or not, the OpenSIPS list is not
the appropriate forum in which to air that thought;  it's just not polite.

The values and focus of every community must be respected, and this
mailing list belongs to the OpenSIPS community and development team.
There's a certain degree of "when in Rome..." that should be obeyed.

I'm a very committed Debian user, and intensely dislike Redhat-derived
distributions.  But if I am on a mailing list centered chiefly around
Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, etc. or products based on them, it's just not my
place to bring up Debian or invite an RH vs. Debian flame war.  That's
just not what the list is for, and my ability to join it and ask a
question is a privilege, not a right.

That having been said, the provocations need to stop from both sides as
I said above.  That includes tongue-in-cheek comments that imply
Kamailio defects or fundamental technical or political inferiorities, or
ones that attempt to explain user perceptions of OpenSIPS in an ad
hominem manner by way of some kind of Kamailio affiliation or anything
like that.

Just don't do it.  It's bad for business, it's bad for both products,
it's bad for everyone.  NOBODY wins if commercial adopters see this kind
of petty bickering and egotism, especially from lead developers and
other significant stakeholders in the commercial ecosystem.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems