[OpenSIPS-Users] mailing list reply-to : list or sender

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana rabs at dimension-virtual.com
Wed Aug 5 01:27:40 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 23:41:57 Dan Pascu wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2009, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> > "normal" is a fuzzy word. I can do the change, not a problem, but just
> > to past what mailman says:
> >
> > "Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is *strongly*
> > recommended for most mailing lists.  ->  Poster     This list
> > Explicit address "
> >
> > Currently is "Poster"(which is recommended) and you suggest "This List".
> >
> > To be honest I consider logical the "Poster" setting as primarily I'm
> > talking with a person on the list and not to the list.
> >
> > But any other opinions are welcome here.
>
> "The List" is a worse choice than "Poster" because it limits my choice of
> whom I want to reply to and makes it more complicated to reply to the
> sender alone. When using "The List", if I want to reply to the sender
> alone, I need to employ manual copy/paste of his address, after I manually
> delete the list address which was automatically added when replying. This
> is awkward and annoying.
>
> With "Poster", I can easily use reply, to reply to the sender alone, or
> sure the poster will receive a single copy anyway.
>
> I don't think nowadays it could be an issue to anyone, as I can't imagine a
> mail user agent without a "Reply all" function.

99% of list I'm member of works as "The List", because on 99% of replies you
want to send are to the list.

It's not a matter of a mail client having or not "Reply All" function, it's a
matter of logic, if I'm in a list and I talking on a thread I want "to Reply"
to the list .. not to one participant that reply my mail, if I want that the
poster recives an annoying copy (because, as far as I remember, noone could
send a message to the list if it isn't subscribed, so it will allways receive
a copy from the list) ... I could allways use "Reply All".

Well .. that's just my opinion.

--
Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana
Dimensión Virtual