[OpenSIPS-Users] SIP v4.0

Robert Dyck rob.dyck at telus.net
Sat Sep 13 10:00:53 CEST 2008

There was enough good stuff in it to make me think it was not entirely a joke.
SIP has sort of painted itself into a corner. It has become cumbersome and we
will probably see more add-ons in the future. The PSTN is tied to TDM which
lacks flexibility but ISUP was a big advance by separating the signalling
form the media. The media could just as well be packetized. The B2BUA and
B2BMA ( media relay/proxy ) is analogous to a phone switch. The phone switch
is always fully stateful. I think SIP would benefit if each node was
call/dialog stateful.

Not kidding