[OpenSIPS-Users] Forwarding REGISTER messages to Asterisk

Darren Sessions dmsessions at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:27:49 CEST 2008

I would highly highly highly recommend you *DO NOT* use Asterisk if
you'll have any sort of volume of registrations (for the record, I am
an Asterisk advocate).

I speak from experience and can say first hand that this is a **bad
idea**.

Asterisk's sip stack and configuration setup really just don't allow
for a high concentration of SIP registrations without a very
significant penalty on the Asterisk host. I had a couple hundred
registrations on a single Asterisk server that started to visibly
effect the performance of the host server. When I hit 500
registrations, the Asterisk server was unusable. I have consistently
been able to reproduce this effect to varying degrees on several Linux
distros and on four different hardware vendor platforms.

Offloading the registrations to OpenSIPS is the smart way to do it. If
you're wanting to send the call simultaneously to Asterisk and the end-
point you can make a creative OpenSIPS config file using the LCR
module or dbalias or something.

If you're wanting to do processing on the Asterisk server before the
end-point is called, you could use the opensips config to route all
the calls to the Asterisk server(s) and then have the Asterisk servers
do their processing bit and send the call back to OpenSIPS which could
detect the call as coming from your pool of Asterisk server(s) and do
a location lookup at that point.

In any case, be creative, it's quite possible to do almost anything
with the call flows you'd like having OpenSIPS at the front of your
network.

Good Luck!

Darren Sessions
dmsessions at gmail.com