[OpenSIPS-Users] forking and unforking

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Tue Nov 4 20:39:15 CET 2008

4 nov 2008 kl. 18.39 skrev Jiri Kuthan:

> One way I explain to myself you meant to imply is that you are
> interested
> in working on the merging effort? I really think forking is a bad
> thing
> and companies and their customers will benefit of non-balkanized
> software.
> (More sophisticated arguments about why forking is bad could be found
> under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29)
> Doing harm control is definitely a good thing to do.

I don't fully agree with you there. Forking might be a good thing and
in some
cases, the only way forward for a developer or a group of developers.
There's
a reason why the open source licenses actually gives users and
developers
the right to fork. And one have to realize, you can't work with
everyone every
time. In Open Source, you don't pick your community and learn to work
with
almost every strange type there is. In some cases, chemistry just
doesn't work.
Often is more about people, than about code, features or actual result.

On the other hand, I personally try to avoid forking at all costs and
I applaud
the effort to unite. Not because I dislike forking, but that I like
that so many
highly professional developers with different skills decide to work
together.
If they prove that they can work together, I think we'll see miracles.
If they
can't, well at least they tried.

As Adrian says, in the end the result is what counts. As a consultant
and advisor to my customers, I have to be very realistic and at this
point say
"stick with OpenSER or SER, and wait and see what happens with OpenSIPS,
Kamailio and SER"...  Most of them have working, running platforms and
there's
no acute need to upgrade.

Let's move forward and bring back the fun to these projects and create
great products!

/O