[OpenSIPS-Users] [Fwd: [Serdev] the sip router project]

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Nov 4 18:13:47 CET 2008

Hi Bogdan,

first of all, I find particular bitterness and negativism in your email
-- I sincerely hope you will find that actually this project is aimed
very positively, and will find your ways to contribute to its success.

Of course that's not invitation just to you, but to anyone seriosly
contributing to SER (and all of its variants). I think we have had
enough forking confusion and we better spend time on developing SER
as opposed to balkanizing it.

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> Thank you for pointing this. On a first view, it looks interesting, but
> I'm missing some points here (important points):
>
> 1) as OpenSER was forked from SER because different views (and the
> OpenSER view proved to be a very popular and successful one), I wonder
> why, Kamilio is getting back to SER? not sharing any more the OpenSER
> view as claimed? because such merging will definitely have a great
> impact on the dynamical  and openness of the projects (like releases,
> contributions, driving the project)

Our interest has been formulated as "high concentration of developers
should
increase the overall perfection of the software, defined as sound well
thought-of
design, low number of bugs and solid documentation."

It seems that the community is more concerned about serial forking desires
(not meaning the particular SIP feature) than about what you are suggesting.
Also I think that some of these concerns have been largely exaggerated
to serve one own's purpose and over time, they just amortized themselves.

In fact, I think forking is a BAD thing to do, and this process is an
acknowledgment of it. Folks may find more insights about downsides of
forking under the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29

> 2) this major change of perspective (at least for kamilio) was a
> backstage decision, kept secret from the community - shouldn't be in the
> interest of the community to say if going back to the roots (merging
> into SER) is something wanted or not? it somehow contradicts the self
> existence of OpenSER, right?

Given the fact, that this is a very public invitation I'm not concerned
about conspiracy theories. In fact, folks are invited to participate by
debating all possible debates, and ideally actual work. So far, all the
feedback I have received both privately and publicly is very positive
-- folks understand that consolidation of effort is a good thing to do.

> 3) the benefits you mentions are mainly optimization of the internal
> project activities and not optimizations of the outcome - what the
> project will deliver. And I guess this is the most important. We already
> went though the experience of  large devel community, frameworks, etc
> but with no outcome for more than 2 years...

See above what the key goals are. If you think, something more sound can
be added, I will appreciate such feedback very much.

>  From my personal perspective, the new project looks more like SER
> absorbing Kamilio (considering the sizes, the companies behind each
> project, the resources, and the man-power behind each project).

I'm sure there are some who are extremely anxious about size-matters,
and those who love conspiration theories and other fascinating subjects.
In fact, the objectives here are very pragmatic and that's getting
the individuals contributing to SER together, for SER's sake. I see
individuals as key "contributing bodies", even though role of businesses
is to be well understood too, as the individuals are on someone's
payroll and could not keep contributing without sponsoring organizations.

In summary, it seems to me that fortunately all of the concerns above,
are as well-minded as unjustified and the key concerns remains, how do
we actually avoid YAFs.

-jiri