[OpenSIPS-Users] Newbie questions about OpenSIPS

Yehavi Bourvine yehavi.bourvine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 08:33:08 CET 2008

Hello,

  Up to now I used Asterisk as our pilot phone exchange (around 20
extensions). I am now installing and learnning OpenSIPS/Kamailio to be used
as a front end to Asterisk in order to support much more extensions. I have
a fe questions:

   - As far as I see Kamailio and OpenSIPS are quite interchangeable in the
   sense that I can take the config file from one of them and use it on the
   other. Am I right?
   - How do I generate music on hold? I understand that OpenSIPS is not a
   media server thus it cannot generate it, but can I use Asterisk to generate
   it? If so, is there an example config for openSIPS and  Asterisk?
   - When an extension is busy I have some code in Asterisk to wait for the
   busy side to hangup and then generate a call to the original caller (here
   this feature is called "Call again") using the call files. . Is there some
   way to generate such a call in openSIPS like the "call files" in Asterisk,
   or will I have to use Asterisk for this feature?
   - And a different topic: When using more than one table in a MySQ:
   server, is there any difference between calling the function modparam("acc",
   "db_url" ...)  for all tables at once, or can I call it for each one
   separately without having any performance issues?

                                             Thanks! __Yehavi: