[OpenSIPS-Users] Kamailio?

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Thu Aug 14 09:45:11 CEST 2008

Edgar Guadamuz wrote:
> I'm sorry if this has been asked before, there is not the answer in
> the mail since I registered...
>
> In the kamailio web page (http://www.kamailio.org) there is said that
> due to trademark issues, openser was named kamailio from version 1.4
>
> If so, what is opensips? what is the difference between opensips and kamailio?

To start..

In my *very* humble opinion.. both projects are the result of some lack
of communication that ended up resulting in egos clashing.  I don't know
which side is /right/ or /wrong/ or who started it and frankly don't
care, so forgive me not if I don't add those details.

The most important difference is actually going to be the code and
continued quality of *both* projects.  I say both because even if both
sides can't resolve to directly work together it's open source.  The
*smart* project is going to end up taking the patches from the other and
merging them.  I say this based on the impression both sides have
talented devs.

For example.. There was a commit from Klaus in Kamailio that opensips
1.4.1 would have benefited from *if* someone had taken the time to do this.

Cheers,

./C