[Users] how to refresh REGISTER state when restarting redundant proxy

Alan Crosswell alan at columbia.edu
Sun Apr 22 16:41:30 CEST 2007

One option being discussed here is running mysql replicated.  This
brings up the concern that the independent proxies are not aware that
they are talking to a single database instance.  Will there be issues
involved such as:
- deadlocks
- inconsistency of in-memory and in-database data structures
  (e.g. usrloc, presence)
- collisions of per-proxy unique keys that are inserted into
  tables
Personally, I think mysql replication violates KISS if I am trying to
have my redundant servers as independent and survivable as possible.

Some approaches we've talked about here that don't use mysql
replication are:
- in /etc/init.d/openser start, add a step to copy registrations
  from the other server(s) that would have normally been learned
  by t_replicate().  Basically select * from location | insert....
- consider doing something at the application level along the lines
  of an "openserctl ul show" to get this data.  This has the advantage
  of not going "behind the back" of the proxy and would even work for
  t_replicate() situations in which the proxies are not flushing usrloc
  to persistent storage.

Our architecture load shares two proxies.  While UAs think they have a
single proxy they've registered to, inbound INVITEs are randomly
distributed among the two proxies (e.g. on our PSTN media gateways, or
other UAs that happen to have chosen the other proxy as their outbound).

Any comments from people who have already dealt with this issue or are
thinking about it would be appreciated.
/a